Bruno's new YouTube channel

Pretty good idea about what his online courses are about.

https://www.youtube.com/user/JBGuitarWrkshp

I need to check this out but don’t have access out here in Beer-Land.

I like how he describes notes outside of the scale having tension to get outside of the vanilla sound. If I can get around him trying to re-invent the wheel, I think there’s a bunch that I can learn from this guy. :smile:

That’s his method in a nutshell. Instead of getting into all the modal theory stuff. He calls them inside/outside notes. A large part of the course is getting the sounds of the 7 inside notes in your ear, and then the 5 outside notes over various standard chord progressions. His favorite saying is you got to be able to hear it.

I just read an interview with Yngwie Malmsteen about his note choices. He said that he never goes outside of the scales. To me, the outside notes are what wakes your ears up. That explains why I can’t listen to his music for more than a few minutes.

That must be what it is. I get bored with him after 1 or 2 songs.

Of course too much outside stuff gets "fusion-y " and doesn’t hold my attention either :neutral_face:

[quote=“BasTod, post:6, topic:6741”]That must be what it is. I get bored with him after 1 or 2 songs.

Of course too much outside stuff gets "fusion-y " and doesn’t hold my attention either :neutral_face:[/quote]

I like to think of the outside notes as devices for hooks. You do the general setup and then throw in a hook once in a while. Too many times and your ear gets trained for it. I’ve read that you have about thirty seconds or less to get someone’s attention. In music, I believe that’s true.

I remember Yngwie asking "Why does Steve Vai play all those WRONG NOTES"?

Seriously? :smile:

All the jazzers will tell you there are no “Wrong” notes. It’s up to the indidividual improviser to create a cool hip sounding line as to not get stale (Like a lot of free form to my ears does) and draw in the listener. A real challenge to me at least is creating a line with a b7 over a major 7th chord. (Bb over a Cmajor 7 chord) but that’s just me. :neutral_face:

There’s definitely wrong notes. If jazzers don’t believe that then they need to visit GC on any given weekend.

Yeah, it can definitely illustrate the adage that the guitar is the easiest instrument to learn to play badly :smile:

:rofl:

I hear ya on that one. Those guys miss the point about creating a cool line with those notes. Why do people drive themselves mad making a note fit in a line. I guess to experiment with the sound and color of a line.

I hear ya on that one. Those guys miss the point about creating a cool line with those notes. Why do people drive themselves mad making a note fit in a line. I guess to experiment with the sound and color of a line.[/quote]

I think it’s because they don’t know any better. :neutral_face:

media overload…Jeez so much to learn so little time…

I’m currently enrolled in four courses at Coursera, my play time has decreased dramatically.

So much free information…it’s…overwhelming…Arrghhh

[quote=“AlbertA, post:15, topic:6741”]media overload…Jeez so much to learn so little time…

I’m currently enrolled in four courses at Coursera, my play time has decreased dramatically.

So much free information…it’s…overwhelming…Arrghhh[/quote]

There is a heck of a lot of info out there. For me, it’s easy though. I know exactly what I’m hoping to learn and I’m focusing on that. Outside notes is a great useful tool though, so if you’re not comfortable there, it’s worthwhile to learn. It’s opened up a whole new world and makes everything else make sense. I always wondered why people would say that SRV or Hendrix were blues/pentatonics players when they would often go outside of that framework. Now I get it and can access those notes on the fly and it all makes sense.

By the way, you guys voted to call this place Guitar Logic. I figured that we might as well start adding the logic content. :smile:

There is no “Logic” to playing those “wrong notes”
:grin:

Good for you Bert. Education is the one thing NO ONE can take from you. I’m impressed.