Flash Memory Camcorders

Yeah that’s right. I put this in the Photography category.

Anyway,… Anyone here used a flash memory camcorder?

Our minidv one has a pixel out on the ccd. (several probably) Anyway, there is a red dot RIGHT IN THE FUCKING MIDDLE OF THE SCREEN NOW. :rage: :rage: :rage:

It looks the Predator is drawing a bead on anything I shoot…

I’ve got a Flip Mino. Great for on-the-go video and offers hd quality. No motion stabilization though.

I’ve noticed that there are more than a few missing image stabilization.

To me thats a must. Unless you are tripod bound. Or NEVER zooming.

Which is possible for some folks…

[quote=“Dark-Jer, post:3, topic:4618”]I’ve noticed that there are more than a few missing image stabilization.

To me thats a must. Unless you are tripod bound. Or NEVER zooming.

Which is possible for some folks…[/quote]

I’ve been able to capture some moments with it that I normally wouldn’t have because of it’s size-convenience. Other times, I had to run it through iMovie image-stabilizing to keep it from going Blair Witch. Personally, the next video recorder that I get MUST have image stabilization.

FM cams are getting better, but I’ll take MiniDV over it any day!

I think it’s all about whether you’ve got the space for the cam or not. There’s no way that my video recorder will rival a MiniDV but at the same time, there’s a lot of times where I wouldn’t have brought my cam along except for it’s size, so I captured moments that I normally wouldn’t have.

I dont have a size issue at all ( :rofl: )

I just figured minidv was getting phased out.

I dont want to take a quality hit.

But I like the idea of less moving parts due to no tape. And easier transfer to PC.

:neutral_face:

Outdoors or with simple home events, the SDHC FM or even the HDD cams can work well. It’s when lighting conditions are weaker or you have lighting on cymbals that glare or cause a focus correction that MiniDV for some reason is better. At least on most comparison video I’ve seen of bands, and sporting events. I have seen some great improvements with FM type recorders with improved ccd’s but then you may as well get mdv since the price is comparable.

every camcorder I have ever used has sucked dog balls indoors.

Granted I have never had anything nicer than about $500-600

But we’ve had 2 smaller mini dvs that are about useless for band functions. Or indoor filming at home.

Unless you cart around your own sun for lighting.

Shit if flash ones are even worse I wouldnt even use it.

I’ve had zero issues with picture quality indoors or out with mine. The only issue is stability. I can get good videos most of the time unless I’ve been drinking coffee.

My wife found a Canon HV20 on CL for less than $300. Those went for more than 1k not too long ago. They were getting rid of it since they wanted to use flash drives. The HV20 is small, shoots HD and C24p and takes great video in low light. It’s close to the GL pro-sumer series.