Guitar Logic Blues jam

I’d just like to preface this by saying that I take no pride in playing bass. It’s a necessary evil as far as I’m concerned. Then again, I’m not big into blues either. Why’d I bother then? Because it’s actually fun. :smile:
The track is at 110 bpm for those who want to line it up in their DAW.
I may add some other stuff to the track but this one is for those who want basic. Drums and bass only. Enjoy!

GL Jam (AC Version) http://www.box.net/shared/ygjxtmz4cj

Heads up! I modded the original track and replaced it with an update. The first version had some cymbal hits that I thought were too aggressive.

Nice B/T…
Let me get my mixing crap going and I may step in and give it a try…

[quote=“Tal Rules, post:3, topic:5352”]Nice B/T…
Let me get my mixing crap going and I may step in and give it a try…[/quote]

Thanks Tal! I could tighten up the bass playing a bit but it’s so generic that I didn’t bother. :grin: Looking forward to hearing what you come up with, as always. :popcorn:

Well, here’s my version. It’s more of a guitar demo than a serious jam track so I apologize in advance for the clams and cringe-worthy bends. I really have no pride. :smile:
During recording, I flipped the pickup selector and worked the volume and tone knobs. Since I’m still learning the guitar, I haven’t really dialed anything in yet. Once things to get adjusted, I suspect that this will be a workhorse recording guitar.

Sounds great AC :thumbsup:. Definitely has the tele vibe :sunglasses:

Thanks! I’m still not a hundred percent sure what to pair it up with to take advantage of it’s natural sound. The volume knob might get swapped out for something less stiff.

Hey I/O, I just modded my take and put it at the start of the thread. Check it out if you get a chance. I’ll collect all of the versions (if anyone submits them) and organize them there. :sunglasses:

That bass is strong. I figured I would record some intial wankage during a 2nd listen to the song just incase I don’t come back to this. My Penatonics are starting to stetch beyond a single position, mainly just a couple notes above and below the one shape I have memorized, but it adds so much expression-wise. My bends/vibrato have come a long ways too since the last blues jam.

Ac I like your take, you show a lot of disciplined playing. :thumbsup:

Kick ass jam Grathan! Glad you joined in. When I first heard your version it sounded like you were gonna channel some Billy Gibbons. I like the harmonic thing that you did too. Yep, I notice a change in your playing. Too bad you’re not nearby. I could get you out of the pentatonic box. There’s be beer involved. :smile:

What do you mean the bass is strong? In the mix?

Thanks for listening to my version. Blues really isn’t my thing so this is my interpretation. Real blues guys will probably cry foul. :smile: I’m really used to the Les Paul so switching to the G&L was an adjustment. Particularly in the high notes. The string tension is more on the G&L so some of the higher leads are a bit stiff.

:sunglasses:

That’s a nice sounding axe, AC :thumbsup:

[quote=“Tod, post:11, topic:5352”] :sunglasses:

That’s a nice sounding axe, AC :thumbsup: [/quote]

Thanks! I’m not used to a 25.5" scale without a trem. The strings are definitely stiffer. I love the clarity I can get though.

Wow! I love the fullness and clarity of those pups! Sounds great AC! :thumbsup:

Thanks George! The pickups are very articulate. I’m running the Tim in front now and getting good results. It’s really a fun guitar. I think I’m becoming a Tele addict. :fearful: Are you buying the loaner? :popcorn:

I’ve decided to get out of the pentatonic funk that I am in. Ac I wish you were closer, maybe I could mail some beer?

Here is my game plan so far:

1.) Gather a bunch of backing tracks in varying keys, so far I have Gm, Am, E, Dm
2.) learn all the shapes, practice them in ascending/descending 3rds and 4ths
3.)Improvise to the backing tracks, forcing myself out of the familiar patterns, also focusing my phrases around the root notes. At least trying to end every phrase on a different root location.

[quote=“grathan, post:15, topic:5352”]I’ve decided to get out of the pentatonic funk that I am in. Ac I wish you were closer, maybe I could mail some beer?

Here is my game plan so far:

1.) Gather a bunch of backing tracks in varying keys, so far I have Gm, Am, E, Dm
2.) learn all the shapes, practice them in ascending/descending 3rds and 4ths
3.)Improvise to the backing tracks, forcing myself out of the familiar patterns, also focusing my phrases around the root notes. At least trying to end every phrase on a different root location.[/quote]

The best tool for practicing in different keys and beats is the Boss DR-880. You can do key changes on the fly. :thumbsup:
Do you know the C,A,G,E, and D major chords in the open position? If you do, based on the CAGED system, you already know the five pentatonic patterns and can unlock the entire fretboard.
From there, add a flattened fifth and you’ll have the blues scale.
Add two notes to the pentatonic and you’ll have the major scale.
From the major scale, raise the third a half step and you’ll know the harmonic minor scale.
If you learn the major scale for upward runs and use the harmonic minor scale for descending runs, that’s the melodic minor scale.
Etc…
Basically I’m saying that these are all rooted in the pentatonic scale. Think of it as a skeleton.

Once you know the major scale, you can start constructing chords without having to know their fancy names.

I definitely want an 880, was messing with it the other day in Guitar Center.

Those tips are a whole nother way of looking at it rather than what I was doing. I bet these will help wrap my head around it even more. thanks

[quote=“grathan, post:17, topic:5352”]I definitely want an 880, was messing with it the other day in Guitar Center.

Those tips are a whole nother way of looking at it rather than what I was doing. I bet these will help wrap my head around it even more. thanks[/quote]

The 880 just had a price drop. I suspect a new version might be in the works. It’s so easy to use that I’m still using it.
Those are more generalities to show you how easy learning the fretboard can be. I didn’t really get into it. Just start from the basic CAGED concept and go from there. If you know the basic “boxed” pattern already, then you’ve got the “G” of CAGED down. With that as a starting point, you’ve already got fifty percent of the “A” and “E.” I like the system because it takes what you already know and shows you the big picture of how it all relates.

It’s defintely a cool piece of hardware. If I didn’t play through the computer I would have one allready. I’d like to have it to create midi drum loops, but then why not just get something with bigger and more sensitive pads…

Another thing I noticed. from the root of major scale, go down 3 frets and your at the familair minor pentatonic shape. Which would be the “6th” and also the relative minor.

If I spend an hour a day on improvising I should see some progress without getting burned out. Some of the best backing tracks out there are the Guthrie Govan package here for free. Awesome!
http://guitarlogic.org/index.php?topic=2209.msg120311#msg120311

Now I just need to find a variety of tracks to keep things fresh.

Because you can scroll through and mix’n’match to make loops. I never use the pads to create tracks. Also, it’s great having the bass playing along the drums. You can change that up as well and it’s really easy to do key changes. I like to blindly scroll through the presets and improv over whatever it lands on. This way, I have to adapt to the style and use my ear to get in key. It’s great solo practice if you don’t have a band to jam with. Jmho.