Is the upgrade to the AxeFx II worth it for me?

I’m about to sell off a bunch of gear that’s not getting used to help fund some PA speakers and am contemplating selling my Ultra to upgrade to the AxeFx II. All I’m going to use the AxeFx for is effects and maybe as a backup. Are the new features and effects worth the change or should I stick with my Ultra?

I would say yes.

The wah’s have improved.
The reverb has improved.
There pitch shifting has improved.
Obviously the amp modeling has improved tremendously. And there’s 100+ amps to choose from.
You got the unity gain through out the unity which helps with the 4CM setups.
The built-in cabinets (impulse response) are up to the 100’s.
There’s X/Y states in various effects, There’s “global” blocks for effects.

There’s Scene mode (up to 8 of those pet patch), which this video describes:
Fractal Audio’s Adam Cook - “Maybe Next Time” play-through w/Axe-Edit
Basically you can cover quite a bit of ground with just one patch.

I’m afraid to look at how little Ultras are selling for these days. The variety of amps and cabs won’t mean much to me as I pretty much stick to one and don’t mix things up (Marshall/Greenbacks). It’s the effects that I’m after and that’s only because I gotta do some covers with them. While I got some great pedals, nothing beats the amount of control that the AxeFx offers. Are the improvements very noticeable or kind of subtle?

As I’ve said before.
Electronics rarely aquire the vintage tag, where people have to have them. Guitars on the other hand, mostly increase or at least hold value.

[quote=“Tal Rules, post:4, topic:6967”]As I’ve said before.
Electronics rarely aquire the vintage tag, where people have to have them. Guitars on the other hand, mostly increase or at least hold value.[/quote]

I’d put a lot of amps in the value-holding gear selection as well. Honestly I’d be happy with just my Tele into the 5150 if I wasn’t doing covers. Actually, I think I’ll nix any cover that requires effects. :thinking:

You probably already have all the stomps you need to do 99% of the covers, anyway :neutral_face: Just nix the ones that require some specialized piece of gear.

Of course when you get tired of lugging the amps around, you’ll probably go back to the AxeFX.

That’s what’s been nagging at me. :smile:

I was messing with axefx yesterday. Found some random feature with the global button to turn power amp off. It made it sound more like an amp when it was cranked through loudspeakers. Maybe it was just that one patch, but also could have been something I wish I had known about earlier.

That’s funny as I just discovered the benefits of the global parameters. I love the AxeFx! If he ever releases the floor version I’ll be buying as soon as it’s available.

I’d say its worth it. The amp modeling pretty much blows away the ultra version. The controls are more like adjusting the real amp so less tweaking in the advanced parameters. Actually, I do zero tweaking in the advanced parameters. It down to adjusting gain and tone knobs for me. Albert pretty much lists all the other advantages.

I did about 12 hours of practice this weekend, playing along to backtracks with the Axe II. Sometimes I had to stop playing to make sure there was no guitar track on the BT because it sounded too good to be me. :smile: :oops:

I’ve said this before in a post somewhere here, the Axe II makes me a better player. It time to try it with the band again.

Thanks for the input! You guys need to keep in mind that I won’t be using the amps or cabs unless I blow some tubes. That’s not saying that I won’t use them if available but I love hearing my amp pushing air through a cab. If I get the AxeFx 2, it’ll be through monitors which isn’t the same. Maybe if I get a nice pair of speakers to run it through…
As far as effects go, I have to admit that I don’t even use reverb. :grimacing:

I think Tod knows me best by mentioning the fact that I wouldn’t have to lug an amp around. :smile:
Nothing beats the AxeFx for recording though. It’s been a while since I’ve been able to do that.

I here you on wanting to push some air through a cab. I still prefer my amps in a live situation, but I have to be honest and admit that I have not tried it with the Axe II yet. I still say its worth the upgrade just for the usb recording/sound card aspect. I bet you would end up just practicing on your own with the Axe FX once you got it set up.

I suspect that you’re probably right, although I’d have to hear it through something other than my monitors. Just to be clear, I have no doubt that the AxeFx can produce awesome sounds. It’s just that my monitors will limit it’s capabilities for me. I am planning on getting a pair of QSCs for the band but I don’t know when that will be budgeted in.

You know I totally LOVE the Axe II. However, I think for just fx, it is quite the investment for someone who isn’t touring the world. I think there have been some improvements since the Ultra, but in a live, cover band situation, I don’t know that they would justify coughing up that much extra dough.

Now, on the other hand, if you plan to use the amps/cabs, USB, etc etc etc, it’s a no-brainer. Upgrade now.

[quote=“I/O Bastard, post:14, topic:6967”]You know I totally LOVE the Axe II. However, I think for just fx, it is quite the investment for someone who isn’t touring the world. I think there have been some improvements since the Ultra, but in a live, cover band situation, I don’t know that they would justify coughing up that much extra dough.

Now, on the other hand, if you plan to use the amps/cabs, USB, etc etc etc, it’s a no-brainer. Upgrade now.[/quote]

Hey man, I’m sort of touring the world. Does that justify the it? :smile: You make some good points. Ones that’ll save me $$$. Thanks!

:smile: Sorry, I meant touring the world as a musician, not as a flying bucket of bolts taxi driver :stuck_out_tongue: Yeah man, the Ultra will do you just fine for fx only in a live situation. While I’m not willing to give my II back, I don’t think the fx improvements would be noticeable to an audience watching a loud band.

Hey, this “bucket of bolts” did the Kessel run in nine parsecs… :smile: Yeah, you’re right. I just wanted an excuse to buy one but it is kind of extravagant considering that my Ultra already fits the bill.