Metronome exercises

http://somuchsound.blogspot.com/2012/10/improve-your-groove-7-metronome-tricks.html

Pretty cool…

A lot of top flight players have endless debates (Wars :smile:) about this subject. There are those that swear by the use of the metronome, and others that say it’s more important to develop a sense of time while playing with others.

Bruno hates metronomes. He points out to the pro-metronome guys, “What’s wrong with Ray Brown’s time?”

People really argue these things? I know that the metronome is a useful tool for me. It’s a honest metric for checking timing and gets me to make corrections. I think the bottom line is that it teaches you to listen.

It’s definitely useful when playing alone or against backtracks or when tracking first tracks where there’s no drums yet.

Playing with others…I don’t do that…:slight_smile:

[quote=“AlbertA, post:4, topic:6762”]It’s definitely useful when playing alone or against backtracks or when tracking first tracks where there’s no drums yet.

Playing with others…I don’t do that…:)[/quote]

I don’t see it as that much difference from playing with others. You’re going to hit notes in time based on what you’re hearing. It teaches you to listen. A metronome just won’t stray as much. Plus there’s some really advanced ones that’ll change tempo.

I enjoy practicing my modes with a metronome…

(fuck that Bruno guy…)

As I said WARS…

Just a quick search will yield numerous threads on the topic from this site. This one was memorable because of all the heavies going back and forth with 262 entries.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.music.makers.guitar.jazz/browse_thread/thread/a7bb72cc0d979b3a/c431a62fae3043e6?q=metronome&lnk=ol&

Bruno advoactes practicing with a backer or along with a CD, Playing with other people is best in his opinion. But as you can see by the thread above, everone has an opinion.

As a musician, I think right or wrong is relative to the individual. I suspect someone subliminally planted a “fuck that Bruno guy” into my head too. :smile:

If you change the font color to white, you can’t see the letters…UNLESS you hit CRTL + A

…oh look at you, you little super sleuth you!