Nikon D7000

They have been hard to come by due to the floods in Thailand but I was finally able to buy a new D7000 thanks to this site:
http://www.nowinstock.net/digitalcameras/nikon/d7000/

I got a couple of lenses as well:

AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G
and a refurbished Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX VR

and a small flash Nikon SB-400.

I pretty much confirmed Nikon has the best auto-focus system.

The controls are pretty intuitive the only gripe I had was with setting up manual white balance.
I finally figured it out without reading the manual but definitively not intuitive.

Indoor pictures in low light with the flash bouncing off the ceiling just come out great with the 35mm lens. Auto white balance trips up on the “warm fluorescent” lighting tough, skewing towards the yellowish tones. Under incandescent lighting it does a great job however.

Yesterday my wife took it for a test to the arboretum, the auto focus system kept up with the kids actions. I’m pretty impressed by it actually.

Thats great!!! I find the WB intuitive compared to Canon.

BTW I cant speak highly enough of this product http://www.expoimaging.com/product-overview.php?cat_id=1&keywords=ExpoDisc

Makes WB a snap.

I actually have been monkeying around with a D7000 blog. Got a little silly content but if you guys are interested in contributing I can PM you the link. I do at a reference to refer back to and to help other newbs

[quote=“Angry Fat Bastard, post:2, topic:6149”]Thats great!!! I find the WB intuitive compared to Canon.

BTW I cant speak highly enough of this product http://www.expoimaging.com/product-overview.php?cat_id=1&keywords=ExpoDisc

Makes WB a snap.

I actually have been monkeying around with a D7000 blog. Got a little silly content but if you guys are interested in contributing I can PM you the link. I do at a reference to refer back to and to help other newbs[/quote]

Well once you do it once, it’s no issue setting up.

That expo-disc looks great because having your kid hold up the grey card is always problem prone :grin:

BTW I got that video from Blue Crane.

[quote=“Al Bastard, post:3, topic:6149”]Well once you do it once, it’s no issue setting up.

That expo-disc looks great because having your kid hold up the grey card is always problem prone :grin:

BTW I got that video from Blue Crane.[/quote]

Both Blue Crane DVD’s are great. They teach you more than just about the camera. Nikons Creative Lighting DVD is good too.

Bert are you using an external microphone for video?

Bert how are you guys liking the D7000?

It’s been awesome.

The other day we tried making a little stop motion animation sequence with it…we need more playdoh

I have been toying with the idea of making a motorized turntable.

Have you bought a shoe mount flash yet? I have the SB 800, had it for a few years. Great flash but It’s menu structure is terrible and confusing. Im considering the SB-910. Supposedly more user friendly than the SB 800 and more powerful too.

I got the SB-400, small enough to carry anywhere, powerful enough for indoor shots like we wanted.

I have been slowly buying the macro ring kit R1C1 with SB-R200’s on it. They make nice inexpensive slaves. Im hoping the little woman gets me the SU 200 Commander for my bday.

I cant imagine what I am spending doing it a piece at a time though. I am really enjoying flash.

BTW I like this site a lot