Open G tunings

This has got to be one of the most fun tunings for an acoustic guitar. I’ve been spending all day with my acoustic and a metronome and loving everything that I’m coming up with. There’s definitely a classic rock/folk sound to it when I play this. Definitely strong shades of Jimmy Page going on.
Any of you dabble in this tuning a bunch? I can justify all of my guitars now as I noticed that only my floating bridgers are in standard tuning.

Isn’t that the Keith Richards tuning? Every time I try using that tuning it’s hard not to sound like I’m copping a Stones or Black Crowes riff.

It’s a cool tuning, though :thumbsup:

[quote=“BasTod, post:2, topic:6746”]Isn’t that the Keith Richards tuning? Every time I try using that tuning it’s hard not to sound like I’m copping a Stones or Black Crowes riff.

It’s a cool tuning, though :thumbsup:[/quote]

That is the tuning that Keith Richards’ uses as well. He approaches it differently though. More rock-like whereas Page is more folky with it (“Brown Sugar” vs. “Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp”). I need to use a thin pick with this tuning as I tend to attack my guitar more. :smile:

I use it all the time…I like to take songs that weren’t in that tuning, and give em the “Stones - Black Crowes” treatment
:
Kiss
ACDC
Metal
Punk

[quote=“Cobalt Bastard, post:4, topic:6746”]I use it all the time…I like to take songs that weren’t in that tuning, and give em the “Stones - Black Crowes” treatment
:
Kiss
ACDC
Metal
Punk[/quote]

Cool! I didn’t even think about doing that. :sunglasses: