Peavey Revalver 4

I’ve been checking out amp modeling software lately, and this one from Peavey seems to be underrated for what it does.

https://peavey.com/products/revalver/

The business model is kind of interesting. You download the software for free and only pay for the models/packs that you want. Everything is available to try out and tweak in the free version, there’s just an irritating tone every 30 seconds.

The ACT Modules can model guitars, amps and EQ settings from audio that you input. From the looks of one of the demos it looks like it creates an IR from your input signal.

It appears it can also load 3rd party cabinet IR’s and convolution reverbs.

Anyway, I’m just checking out. This has been around a while, but I’d never heard about it. I’ve heard of Bias and Amplitube and Guitar Rig and Pod Farm etc etc. I guess I’ll see why this was under the radar…

I have not been into modeling since the Pod XT and GNX2 days. I hear some of the expensive modelers are pretty darn good however.

I’m with you on not being into modelers. The problem is that it’s such a hassle to drag out my amp and a cab and my pedal board etc. Then it’s too loud for everybody but me :grinning: It’s just not practical. I have a Pod Studio GX with Pod Farm software that I bought years ago. It sounds OK, but is mostly uninspiring. I’m just trying things out to see if software modeling has improved since Pod Farm.

What I don’t understand is why do presets always sound like ass? You’d think if they were trying to entice people to buy the software they’d hire a guy with some ears to make it sound good right out of the gate. The clean sounds are always too bassy or too thin, the crunch sounds like somebody poked a hole in a speaker, the lead sounds are like somebody added white noise to the torn speaker sound. This is mostly across the board for all the modeling stuff. To get a decent sound requires an hours long deep dive into innumerable editing parameters. Maybe it’s just me. My standards are probably too high for what little I’m willing to spend :heavy_dollar_sign:

The Revalver software does seem promising, though. The trick seems to be combining multiple amps in a parallel signal chain.

Another one I’m checking out is S-Gear from Scuffham

Of the software modelers, Yeah S-Gear seemed the best:

Hey if you are looking for modelers:
https://forum.guitarlogic.org/t/any-of-you-cheap-pickers-interested-on-a-used-axe-fx-2/

I’ve moved on to the Axe-Fx III :slight_smile:

The tones I was getting in PodFarm were kinda close to what I wanted, but when I dialed out the “wet blanket” I ended up with “fizz”. I had a brainstorm to turn off the cabinet emulation and try a 3rd party IR instead. So far that’s sounding pretty good with the free Celestion G12T-75 IR. I just have to figure out the latency issue…

Yeah aliasing is the killer of lower end modeling products (which is where the unrelated fizz comes from mostly)

I think I’m gonna save up and get either a Headrush or an AX8. Unless I come across a great deal on an Eleven Rack at Gearfest next week…

New, they are a great deal ~300

Also, if you do get an 11R, let me know. I have some premium patches that I bought, and no longer use.

Yeah, the 11r is tempting just because it’s so cheap. I paid more for my GNX3 back in the day.

I know it can’t load 3rd party IR’s but it sounds like people have been using 3rd party hardware IR loaders in the effects loop with good success. I’ve heard some really excellent patches from the stock unit, too.

I don’t know. I’ll go straight to the “open box tent” at Sweetwater during Gearfest. If they have one for <$300 I’ll probably break down and buy it.

The IR thing is easily fixed with external pedals these days.

My dilemma with that is that by the time I buy the 11r for $300, the IR pedal for $140, a bunch of 3rd party IRs and a midi controller I’ll be into it for the price of a used Headrush. Plus I’ll have additional cables and power supplies to deal with and still not have all the functionality of the Headrush.

But maybe I’d get the 11r and like it as is and wouldn’t need additional IRs. Of course it’s never a question of need, anyway :grinning:

S-gear is by far the best of the software modelers I tried. I went ahead and bought it. It was really just what I was looking for. Even the presets sound good. Super happy with it so far. :+1::+1:

Yeah S-Gear is the only that sounded pretty good compared to the Axe-Fx.

That said… if you want an Axe-Fx II for $1K I have one :slight_smile:

That’s a great deal, but I don’t really want more hardware laying around. The wife was pissed when a friend gave me his FCB1010 the other day. I need to get rid of some stuff…

:joy::joy::joy:Evelyn%20Face

I’m imagining an FCB1010 just laying around in front of the toilet…

I mean why would she be pissed?

Her: “What’s that?”

Me: “It’s a midi controller, an FCB1010. They’re pretty cool. Vern just gave it to me! For FREE!”

Her: “What’s it do?”

Me: “It’s midi controller. I can change parameters in…”

Her: “Get rid of it. It’s ugly.”

Me: :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

:grinning::sunglasses: