The last piece of gear missing for home recording

Now that modelers sound good and amp designers are making great sounding amps that can maintain good tone at low volume, someone needs to design a mic that can accurately capture sounds at low volume as well. Maybe someone already makes one but I’m not aware of it. While my mics are good, they absolutely can not do the job until I turn up my amp loud.

Hey Tod, maybe you can slap one together. :sunglasses:

You mean it sounds good at low volume to your ears, but the mic doesn’t capture it?

Wait, a mic can accurately pick up the sound of an acoustic guitar, but not an amplifier at low volume? This doesn’t make sense.

I wouldn’t know where to start with building a microphone :neutral_face:

:grin:

http://www.homemademicrophones.com/

:thinking:

Those are pretty cool, but I don’t really need a mic.

The amp sounds good at all volumes but the mics won’t capture the low end properly without lots of volume. I guess they’re set up that way because they were meant for high volume environments. :neutral_face:

[quote=“Tod, post:3, topic:5594”]Wait, a mic can accurately pick up the sound of an acoustic guitar, but not an amplifier at low volume? This doesn’t make sense.

I wouldn’t know where to start with building a microphone :neutral_face:[/quote]

Sense or no sense, that’s the deal. Maybe it’s a frequency thing.

Maybe you can post a high and low volume sample? I am thinkin it is more the amp than the mic.

I agree.

Well, either that or the mic is not sensitive enough… maybe use a unidirectional condenser, or along those lines.

What about a DI? The Palmer is supposed to be pretty good :neutral_face:

My buddy lent me his Palmer several years ago. It was very good. I was able to use my attenuator as a speaker load and record my Mesa “cranked” silently. It also took the guess work out of mic placement. You get the same thing every time. If you like what you hear you’re all set. If you don’t like what you hear, not much you can do other than move on to another option.