Vai's 30 Hour Workout

Looks like he’s selling this as a book now but this guy has it sorted nicely here.

http://picksnlicks.com/Guitar%20Lessons/Exercises/30_hr_workout/30_hr_workout_1.html

“Tune your guitar. Never play out of tune unless for a desired effect, such as working on a quartertone scale … or playing alternative rock music for pop radio consumption”

WTF is he talking about? :man_shrugging:

[quote=“Cobalt BLooz, post:2, topic:6980”]“Tune your guitar. Never play out of tune unless for a desired effect, such as working on a quartertone scale … or playing alternative rock music for pop radio consumption”

WTF is he talking about? :man_shrugging:[/quote]

It’s Steve Vai. Who the f knows for sure? :smile:

[quote=“Cobalt BLooz, post:2, topic:6980”]“Tune your guitar. Never play out of tune unless for a desired effect, such as working on a quartertone scale … or playing alternative rock music for pop radio consumption”

quartertone scale…Normally you have 12 notes to the octave. (Semitones) Now imagine you have 24 notes to the octave. So 24 frets to the octave instead 12…You (You get the note between B and C and even the note between D and D# :smile:)

A lot of mideastern, and Indian music is based on the quartertone scale.

I’ve heard a lot of out tune bands You would swear are doing this as well. :smile:

Alternative rock and Pop…
I would guess he’s talking about open tunings.

Guthrie Govan did a little lesson on using semi-tones for blues. It’s just that when Vai talks, he can get a little out there. Even when he says something normal, I still have to guess if that’s what he means.

[quote=“Tal Rules, post:4, topic:6980”]quartertone scale…Normally you have 12 notes to the octave. (Semitones) Now imagine you have 24 notes to the octave. So 24 frets to the octave instead 12…You (You get the note between B and C and even the note between D and D# :smile:)

A lot of mideastern, and Indian music is based on the quartertone scale.

I’ve heard a lot of out tune bands You would swear are doing this as well. :smile:

Alternative rock and Pop…
I would guess he’s talking about open tunings.[/quote]

Ummm, Tal…I was talking about “alternative rock music for pop radio consumption”

:rofl:

I’m actually talking about a 24 fret guitar to the octave.

Like this… Notice the Sitar like sound.

Microtonal Quarter Tone BC Rich Warlock

:popcorn:

And I was talking about Vai saying there are alt pop bands out there, PLAYING OUT OF TUNE…I sure as hell ain’t aware of any

Ironic since he’s been out of tune in Some of his live records.

Nonsense, his band was out of tune. :smile:

They were just experimenting with 432hz. It’s all the rage with Freemasons, Scientologists, and Nazis.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

(There’s a bunch of those “Mode Thingies” in that workout ya know)

:grimacing:

He probably told his band to tune to D#.

The playing alternative rock for pop consumption… I still think he’s talking about open tunings. Like G, or D or etc…Tunings You guys know… Like slide players. And yes…Tuning your guitar to open tunings would be as Vai says…“Playing out of tune”

No, he’s not

A lot of alt bands used “dropped D”, or C# . He is inferring that the slackers are playing out of tune. Sounds like a smug sanctimonious hipster comment

Speaking of hipster… maybe he’s talking about hipster bands like White Stripes and The Black Keys. Jack White especially plays a lot of crappy guitars that aren’t exactly in tune :neutral_face:

I don’t think he’s talking about alternate tunings, either. Even if you use an alternate tuning, you’re still in tune. It wouldn’t sound horrible if a guy tuned to Open G while the second guitarist was tuned to standard tuning for example.

Or maybe he’s just making a flippant comment that we’re all trying to read too much into.