You Can't Chop Off Win7 Pro's Head and Escape the Wrath

[quote=“Slacker G, post:20, topic:7692”]OK.

I guess that the switch from Chrome OS to Linux just isn’t for anyone. :slight_smile: All the articles say that Chrome boots in seconds.

Well big deal. So does my Ubutu machine… in about 130 of them.

I believe that wubi.exe is the launcher or loader (I have no idea of the terminology used here) that begins to load Ubuntu on a formatted hard drive when the machine sees it in the DVD drive.

I will try to slide that into a DVD along with Ubuntu the other 16 files and see if it loads the OS.

I got dizzy just reading the article in your link.[/quote]

You need to get yourself some SSDs :slight_smile:

My laptop boots in 10 seconds to Ubuntu.

I have a couple of them in use but they are only 80 Gig SATA II drives.

I take it that Ubuntu runs multiple instructions to HTT CPU's?  I have been looking at SSd's all morning since 9AM. (3PM now) and I have decided (or rather undecided) on a 500 gig or a 250 gig Samsung. I want to reload my i5 Sony and my i3 Acer with them.  The Acer i3 Ubuntu is already faster than the i5 running win 7.  

When I got the i3 last week I asked the tech that gave it to me if he had any smaller SSd pulls so I could load it without destroying my Win7 Pro. I didn’t want to pay a ton for a used SSd but I cut off win7’s head before getting one so I just loaded it on the hdd in it.

[quote=“Slacker G, post:22, topic:7692”] I have a couple of them in use but they are only 80 Gig SATA II drives.

I take it that Ubuntu runs multiple instructions to HTT CPU's?  I have been looking at SSd's all morning since 9AM. (3PM now) and I have decided (or rather undecided) on a 500 gig or a 250 gig Samsung. I want to reload my i5 Sony and my i3 Acer with them.  The Acer i3 Ubuntu is already faster than the i5 running win 7.  

When I got the i3 last week I asked the tech that gave it to me if he had any smaller SSd pulls so I could load it without destroying my Win7 Pro. I didn’t want to pay a ton for a used SSd but I cut off win7’s head before getting one so I just loaded it on the hdd in it.

[/quote]

I have a 250G Samsung 850 EVO on my laptop, and a couple of 500G Samsung 850 EVO’s on my main desktop.

My main laptop is a core i5-4200 (haswell) and my desktop is an older i7-2600K.

I just timed my laptop again… From cold boot (completely powered off) to when I get the login screen: 14s… And depending on how fast I type the password to a tab of Chrome: another 5-10s… So around 20-25s total from cold boot…
Of course I hardly shutdown my computers all the way, I just suspend them… So a matter of a second or so to wake them up from deep sleep.

We have the same taste in SSd’s. I had thought of using 2 250 gig drives but then I thought I may need more for music and photos. I will take my older SSd 80 gig drives an use them for OS only drives paired up with a couple larger drives for storage.

My recording drives are a bigger 1TB drive partitioned and generally a couple of 250 Gig drives. I’m still paranoid when it comes to having all your eggs in one basket. After spending 5 hours on a song once (until 5AM) and having the computer lock up and cause me to loose everything, I have little faith in Hdd’s CD’s or DVD’s. I must have a closet full of duplicate CD’s of individual song bundles with wav and mp3 on them. Big time digital media paranoid.

Sometimes I think Ubuntu 16.04 is more frustrating than DOS, and it is
more difficult at times. After having changed my pass several times in my laptop I kept getting this every time I tried to get a file:

[sudo] password for badstrat-TM4750:-$ When I type in the password “I
get command not found”

I gave up on it and downloaded an ISO for 16.04 to install on another machine. Now when I want to get a file I get:

[sudo] password for Slacker-TM4750:-$ When I type in the password “I
get command not found”

Evidently only the name has changed, the quirks remain the same. Why doesn’t it simply ask for a password and go if it is correct?

Those [sudo] password instructions are clear as mud to me. Ubuntu tells me I do not need one as an administrator but when I enter a command it asks me for the pass again. There is only one password in each machine. So with two versions of 16, one an upgrade, one a new install, the identical problem is on both machines.

Two machines with correct passwords entered and neither will accept the only passwords in the complete
systems. It does offer suggestions, but they do not work either as I get stonewalled with the frigging password crap every time I want to download what they tell me I need to download. And this password stuff sucks big time. I know I can’t be the only one with this problem.

Windows is beginning to look good. It makes me wanna puke, but at least itremembers my passwords
and gives users simple understandable commands. (Even if they don’t always work) I don’t think ubunto
is ready for prime time yet.

One install was an upgrade from 14, and the VGA actually worked properly on that one. But it has the password bug. Why is entering a simple password such a monumental task in Ubuntu?

The other install was from a 16.04 ISO, and the VGA doesn’t work properly on that one and the password has the same quirks. The VGA says I need to download a “special file” for the VGA to give me choices to
match my monitor. I followed the instructions but when I go to download it the password debacle shows up again and locks me out.

I decided I could live with the monitor problem. I just kept hooking up monitors until one worked. Really tired and frustrated I decided to watch a couple of You tube musicians that I really like. 16.04 seemed a bit faster than the windows when searching . I found a video and started to watch it. No sound in the right earpiece. I checked all the connections and they were OK. So I went into the Ubuntu sound properties. I did the right/left audio test. No audio on the right side. Hm. Oh well… wait a minute … I have the driver that doesn’t work in Ubuntu… so I didn’t even try it. I could go on line and see if there is an update for it. No, wait a minute, I can’t download anything without my password that I only know and Ubuntu forgot.

Problem solved!! I got rid of that crappy 16.04, formatted the drive, and installed XP again. Everything works great (as great as windows can) . I can even download any drivers I deed without a friggin password!

Am I a happy camper? NO. I wanted Ubuntu 16 to work. I really liked it until I had to use it.

Sounds like you are really executing a non-existent command and not really about the password - I think you are getting that confused. Otherwise it wouldn’t even tell you “command not found”.

What exactly did you type in the command line?

I’ve never had a password issue myself for the record.

Is the complain that you have to put in your password every time?

I did everything as you directed me and then I also followed the directions at a web site with the same results. When I did get a download for a player it loaded everything but one file that it said was no longer anywhere on line. I get the same results from the web site.

Since I am the administrator (very soon I will be the destroyer) I do not need a password according to what I read. I am simply supposed to paste in the command line and hit enter. Yet when I paste in the command it asks me for my password again and it has a cursor that will not allow you to type anything into it. (Catch 22)

This is almost like being in the military again. Everything feels like catch 22.

So far this has simply been an exercise in futility and Ubuntu still won’t play movies. Ubuntu acts like something the government wrote at times.

I need to get away from it for a while before I start throwing stuff and scaring the neighbors with my screams.

If you are getting “command not found” then that command does not exist. So either you are missing the dash in “apt-get” or you are following outdated tutorials in the net.

Or maybe you didn’t do this?

Hit the Ubuntu Icon in the top left, search for Software & Updates and open it. In the Ubuntu Software tab, select Software Restricted by Copyright bla bla.... Close it and let it do its thing.

“Hit the Ubuntu Icon in the top left, search for Software & Updates and open it. In the Ubuntu Software tab, select Software Restricted by Copyright bla bla… Close it and let it do its thing.”

I copied and pasted what you sent to me. The first thing I did was check the "Software Restricted by Copyright box, and it is still checked. But it doesn’t do anything when I hit enter.

I’m too frustrated with Ubuntu at the moment. I’ll try again when I get another Hdd and load it in a different machine. If I can’t get that to work I will wait for 17 to see if that is any better. Before I just deleted Ubuntu previous versions and forgot about it.

This is much friendlier than previous versions however I think it still has a way to go before it is ready for the average PC user. For the most part the instructions are rather confusing to a non nerd.

I put a DVD into it today and it played. It was a DVD that did not have a region code. I remember that when I first installed Ubuntu it selected a region code for me. But I believe it was in Asia. Typical. So I went to find out how to change the region. I was told to download " regionset" or something like that.

I entered the command and it accepted it. …NEXT catch 22 yet again Then it asked me for my sudo password and it refused it again after it was reset. I really hope the next version of Ubuntu has a simple command line where you simply type in what you want without all the KingsX password crap. NOTHING that I do allows me to get anything with this OS.

It also told me to activate something (Can’t remember at the moment) I opened up what it told me and no where was any information about activating it or keeping it activated. It is as if some guys got together and said " I have an idea! , lets make this as frustrating as we can for new Ubuntu users."

On one Ubuntu forum someone said they set their region code to “0” so it would play all DVD’s. Then another guy said there is no “0”. Sometimes there appears to be as much confusion with the help as there is with the user.

At least I know why it won’t play any DVD’s other than this extremely crappy one.

I’ve been pretty happy with Windows since Windows 8 :neutral_face: I used to use Linux back in the day, but haven’t really kept up with it. I recall preferring the KDE environment to the Gnome environment. The distro I settled on back then was MEPIS. It runs on a live disc like Ubuntu, so you can try it out.

There’s Kubuntu if you like KDE:

http://www.kubuntu.org/feature-tour/